The surge that flooded the whole world has arouse many reactions, what is « textese »?
SMS Language appeared twenty years ago with the birth of texting, it consist in reducing words maximum through several processes: abbreviation (lol), typographic puzzle, (2day), emoticons and so on.
What are its advantages and disadvantages?
- Contrary to what some may believe, this language does not have a bad influence on the level of students’ spelling.
According to a French study, the best of them use it.
- Save time!
- The emoticons are representatives of body language; they can be very useful to understand the interlocutor.
- There is not ONE language; users can create their own language.
- Initially, it was used to shorten the maximum number of characters in SMS. Indeed, the phone subscription previously offered a limited number of SMS, with a limited number of characters per message.
- Today, most phone subscription allow you to send unlimited SMS, it becomes useless to use this language.
Furthermore, the characters economy is relative and this language was useful with old phone.
- This language is not only present in SMS and it may have taken too much girth, going up to appear on forums and even on some copies of the Bachelor!
- Note that “textese” is old-fashioned in a while in the United States. Indeed, the size of SMS has increased significantly and we can say that he has a “bad reputation” sometimes.
- As the name suggests (Short Message Service) texting is not made for a literary correspondence.
- There is many ways to interpret these messages and there is often misunderstandings.
Author : Marie Daudey